Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Apple Balsamic Salad

Being single makes cooking a bit tedious at times.  Don't get me wrong, I love leftovers for one meal, I just dont like eating them for a week straight. So Camille Funk, who lives in my neighborhood, came up with this fun idea for a cookbook called Table For One, where all the recipes are made for one portion size.  There are lots of fabulous looking recipes in there, however, the only one I have tried is this Apple Balsamic Salad.  I cant say enough good things about it.  I did add a few more things the second time I made this, like cucumbers and green onions, and I used baby portobellos which i prefer.  But its a easy recipe and the dressing is rather tasty.  Sometimes I make the dressing sugar free by using Agave Maple flavored syrup.  I made this with the butternut squash soup.  It was a very tasty meal!

Apple Balsamic Salad

Salad
1 ½ Tbsp. toasted pine nuts
1 strip of bacon
2 handfuls red leaf romaine lettace
¼ c. Mushrooms, chopped
¼ cup granny smith apples, chopped
2 Tbsp. Grapes, chopped
2 Tbsp. canned beets, chopped
2. Tbsp feta cheese (but I used chevere cheese)

Dressing
1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp. maple syrup or brown sugar
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Dash of salt and pepper

1.       Place pine nuts on a small baking sheet and broil for 1-2 min on each side, until toasted.
2.       Cook bacon in a small skillet until lightly browned, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet and let            cool.  Pat down bacon with paper towel to remove excess grease. Crumble.
3.       Toss together contents of salad in a medium bowl or on a plate.
4.       Mix contents of vinaigrette in a small cup. Stir well and toss with salad.


Camille Funk
Table For One



4 comments:

  1. That is a great idea. I love the salad dressing for one. Kirk and I can double that! It is hard switching from a large group to a small one.

    It was fun hanging out yesterday! I expected to see you at the grocery store when I went there too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jackie so much for yesterday, next week I will have a whole new blog and hopefully some awesome pictures to show for it, using some new techniques. It was great being able to spend so much time with you. Have fun in Paris!

    I made it for my friends Tracy and Tina and just tripled it for the three of us. It worked out great and we didn't have left overs... which is always nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This meal was so nice to come home to after a long flight. Everything tasted wonderful and the table and food were beautiful! You are so wonderful. Thank you again. I ate the salad for breakfast the next day as well. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete