Sunday, March 25, 2012

Once Upon A Time Frog Prince, Cinderella Pumpkins and Glass Slipper.

To do a party properly, you need something besides the food to help inspire your theme.  I find that a lot of times, stores dont have what I'm looking for, so I have to make them.  I dont consider myself a crafty person, I'm creative... but I hate spending days working on crafts.  So here are three of the items that I made to set the mood for my table, that were quite easy to make and used a lot of the same things.
 For the frog prince, I found a cute frog prince at a local store that was clay.  I decided to put a coat of silver metallic paint on it to make it look like metal. Once it was dry, I sprayed it with green glitter spray.
To finish off the crown, I used a gold paint pen and painted the crown.  This project was simple, easy and turned out cuter then expected.  Plus, it only took me an hour!

For the Cinderella pumpkin's, I bought plastic pumpkin's at a local craft store, along with the following spray paints below.
 For the cream colored pumpkins, I started with a coat of primer and let it dry.  Then I sprayed it with a coat of cream paint, on some of the pumpkins I had to add an extra layer of cream paint, just make sure that it is well coated and all the same color.  After that layer was dry, I added a layer of Hammered paint.  I had this laying around the house and decided to try it out.  It created a pearl look to the pumpkin that I just loved!
 This is what it looked like after all the coats of paint were on the pumpkin.  As you can see I used a white pumpkin, but the finished pumpkin actually started off as orange.  I just wanted to find one with a little personality to it!
For the silver pumpkins it was much simpler.  I just used the silver metallic paint and put two coats of paint on it.  Just make sure you let each coat dry first before you add another.  You dont want drip marks down the pumpkin.
 For the glitter on the top, I dumped tacky glue on the pumpkin,  as you can see below, and then dumped an iridescent glitter on the top.
 For the stem, I used a silver wire, found at any local craft store.  Silver and crystal beads that I strung on the wire.  Then i twisted it onto the stem and finished it off by bending the top over to make a small loop. If you dont have a stem on your pumpkin, use the jeweled wire as the stem and push it into the top of the pumpkin.  If it wont stay up hot glue it on.  I also added some flat crystal stones to the top of the glitter, using dabs of tacky glue to apply them. 
And this is how it looks when its done!  I know it looks like a lot of glue, but it will dry transparent.  So dont stress about it too much.  If you need to,  add more glitter on top of it to make sure it covers all the glue.  This project is fun,  you can be as creative as you want to be and you cant mess it up!  On the silver pumpkin, I added a large jewel on the top for fun.
To make Cinderella's slipper, I found a pair of high heels at Desert Industries for $2.00.  I looked for a size six or smaller that had a cute shape to it.  I started off by spray painting it with silver metallic paint, because originally it was bright purple, and the metallic paint coated the entire shoe with one coat of paint.  Next, I covered it in tacky glue and used my fingers to press glitter all over the shoe.  I ended up putting two layers of glitter on it, but I love how it turned out in the end.  Once it was dry, I used the tacky glue and attached flat jewels to the shoe creating my own design.
This is what it looks like when its done!

To view Once Upon A Time Baby Shower click HERE!






2 comments:

  1. I'm using so many of your fabulous ideas for the upcoming baby shower that I'm hosting for my best friend's THIRD girl! I have been looking for months (in stores and online) for frog prices like yours and have had no luck. Can you tell me where you got them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.grandinroad.com/set-of-three-prince-charming-frogs/latest-and-greatest/newest-additions/grand-finale-outlet/526661?defattrib=&defattribvalue=&listIndex=43 They're available as a set of 3

    ReplyDelete