Thursday, April 14, 2011

Art and Color Birthday

Ever since I was a little girl, I've been obsessed with my Birthday party.  My Mother used to say that the week after Christmas I typically would chime right in about what my next Birthday party theme would be.  Guess deep down inside I was born to be an Event Planner... which hopefully I'll get back into sometime soon.  The funny thing about me, is that I actually hate the party, I dont like being the focus of attention, I just like throwing them.  So for the past ten years, since I have graduated High School, I have luckily avoided parties and gone on vacation every year for my Birthday instead.

As I was thinking about this months main blog post, I thought about how I should throw myself a small party about everything I love, or mostly what I love...  So the theme became Art and Color.  Why you might ask, well ever since I was little I've been obsessed with color.  I always loved changing out my room, to different themes and colors, and changing things up.  Art on the other hand has been a passion of mine since Jr. High. It has become a focus in my life, and lead me to an Interior Design degree and study abroad's in Europe where the emphasis was Art. Now that I'm a blogger, i tend to look at other peoples blogs and was disappointed that im not the only one who wants to throw a colored party, EVERYONE is throwing one, but thats the best part about creativity, everyone comes up with different ideas.   So I put my creativity to work and came up with this...


I wanted to start with the room totally void of color, but classy.  So it started off completely black and white. The room turned out better then I had hoped.
(Most pictures taken were by Tracy, a great friend of mine who is a wonderful photographer and helped me out with all my crazy ideas for this party along with many others, me, and my little sister!)




After that, I wanted to show how COLOR can take something from soft and elegant and bring out a fun, exciting element to the party.  Creating an entirely different feel and theme to the party.






The center piece was something my Mother saw on Good Day Utah, and we just kinda took the idea and came up with this... (I'll post a how to later on in the month.)



For our "art" project, I wanted to have something interactive and fun for adults.  So I bought a black and white fabric from IKEA, went to Roberts and got some Sharpie Paint Markers, and told everyone to go to town.  We each colored our own sections while we ate and talked.  Later this month ill show the finished product with hopefully a cute boarder sewed around the edge.




The food... well let's be honest, who hasn't seen that rainbow cake around and wanted to try it out!  So yeah, the food theme took off from that Cake when Tracy sent it to my facebook.  So I went to Whisk Kids blog and made her cake.  I figured since she was on Martha Stewart and all I might as well give it a shot.  For those of you who dont know me, i'm a good cook, and a better baker.  But i NEVER bake cakes from scratch... I just add to a cake mix and make the frostings and fillings.  So this intimadted me a lot, but i'm happy to say, with the awesome instructions that Wisk Kid puts into her blog the cake turned out amazing!  The rest of the food was based off of that idea with dark chocolate mini cupcakes, layered pudding cups, rainbow jello, chocolate dipped strawberries, strawberry milk shakes, and of course a few healthy threats to make us not feel so horrible about the calories we all just consumed!   (Recipies posted next week!)




The evening turned out wonderful with great company, good food, and a successful party.  Thanks for all who came and supported me!










Happy Birthday to me today!




12 comments:

  1. FABULOUS! The b&w looked beautiful, but it looked so great with all the colors! And the cake and pudding! It looks like everything was a complete success. Congratulations, and Happy Birthday!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the shout out!!! YES!! It was an awesome party. You did an amazing job putting it all together. I am glad I could get some decent pictures of it to do it justice. I'm glad you liked the way they turned out. Your the best! Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just gorgeous Rachel! Love every nook and morsel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so creative! I love that you colored your own material. Can't wait to see how it turns out. See you Sunday :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this great pictures. This birthday was epic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're amazing, Rachel! That's the most beautiful cake I have ever seen! You are one remarkably talented chica! And BTW, Happy Birthday, Darlin'!
    Love, Chanin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love love love everything! Can you come live with me?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Everyone, love all the love and support from all of you. It actually was featured on tip junkie as one of there big parties, but sadly it was noted on Tracy's blog and not mine =(. Heres the link if you want to comment...

    http://party.tipjunkie.com/rainbow-party-pudding-birthday-party-food/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, hello..... FABULOUS!!!!! You are so stinkin' creative and this blog post seriously looks like it could be featured in a magazine! Let's open up business together. When are you moving to AZ?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fun. I have enjoyed each post! I love all the color.

    Amanda is the same, planning her birthday months in advance!

    ReplyDelete